be a Kitchen Hero
To Help You
Create a Meal You Can Brag About
Where your friends pine for a dinner invitation
(you might have to start a waiting list!)…
Your partner begs for you to don an apron
(you never know where a great meal will lead!)...
Your kids join in and help
(maybe they’ll even do the dishes!).
a new and exciting monthly spice blend/rub
that will transform your cooking
and fuel your inner chef.
you meal solutions that work.
you be the hero of your kitchen…
maybe even your neighbourhood, eh!
Chief Spice Officer: CJ Katz
It’s my belief that you don’t need a culinary degree to make an excellent meal, you don’t have to know every cooking technique, and you don’t need a fancy kitchen. A desire, some meal solutions, great recipes, and a few cooking tips and advice is all you need to crush it, be fearless and impress all who eat at your table. That’s why I created Be a Kitchen Hero, my own line of proprietary spice blends, rubs and seasonings -- to help you create WOW!, stand 10 feet taller and become the Hero of your own kitchen. You’re just a shake away from something fantastic!
A bit about me.
My life has literally been all things culinary. My love of cooking and creating has propelled me into a wide and varied career in the world of food.
- Culinary host of CTV’s The Wheatland Café since 2005. To date have presented close to 500 episodes offering my own proprietary recipes along with practical, straight-forward cooking advice to help viewers put on a tasty meal from scratch without having to slave for hours. (view episodes here)
- Author of the award-winning cookbook ‘TASTE: Seasonal Dishes from a Prairie Table.’ (buy the book here)
- Food writer and recipe developer: recipes and articles have appeared in many print publications and web media including The New York Times, Wine Access, the National Post, Flavours Magazine, Saskatoon Star Phoenix, realworldtraveller.com, justlux.com, WestWorld Saskatchewan. Weekly food columnist for the Regina Leader-Post (2012-2015)
- Food stylist for cookbook authors and chefs, including a national Tourism Saskatchewan TV commercial (view the commercial here ).
- Culinary Judge: Senior judge for Gold Medal Plates; Senior judge for Canadian Culinary Championships; Certified Pacific Northwest Barbecue Association, and Kansas City Barbecue Society Judge
- Marketing and communications consultant; professional food photographer; long-time consultant to enRoute Magazine’s annual listing of Canada’s Best New Restaurants; contributing editor to CTV’s Good Morning Canada; former resident food expert to CBC Radio Saskatchewan’s Morning Edition.
Taste: Seasonal Dishes from a Prairie Table Cookbook
- 2012 World Gourmand Cookbook Award for Best First Cookbook (English Canada)
- Top 10 Prairie’s Own Best Seller two years in a row (2013 and 2012) – Saskatchewan Non-Fiction, McNally Robinson
- Top 10 out of 100 of the ‘Top Most Gifted Canadian Cookbooks’ on Amazon.ca (Dec 2012)
- 2015 Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year: ‘Commendation’ for her entry entitled ‘Three Chefs’ (selected out of thousands of photographs worldwide). Category: Philip Harben Award for Food in Action.
- 2014 Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year: ‘Commendation’ for her entry entitled ‘Prairie Comfort’ (selected out of thousands of photographs worldwide). Category: Food Off the Press, Stockfood.
- Finalist 2013 YWCA Women of Distinction Awards
- Paragon Award (2005) ‘Best New Business Venture’ Regina Chamber of Commerce
- Award of Merit 2006 Saskatchewan Awards for Creative Excellence (ACE)
- 2007 ‘Progress 2 Capital’ Business Plan Competition 3rd Place